A video has surfaced showing the Israeli attack on Nasser hospital in the south of the Gaza Strip on Monday, killing at least 20 people, including five journalists.
One of those killed was Hussam al-Masri, a cameraman contractor working for the Reuters news agency. Al-Masri was broadcasting live from a position operated by Reuters on an upper floor just below the roof of the hospital in Khan Younis in an initial strike.
In this family handout photo, the body of freelance journalist Mariam Dagga, 33, is carried for burial after she was killed in a double Israeli strike on Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, southern Gaza Strip, Monday, Aug. 25, 2025. (Family Handout via AP)
Video captures shocking moment
A video released by Reuters showed a second strike, moments after the first hit on the hospital.
In the video, several others, including photographer Hatem Khaled, also a Reuters contractor, were seen filming near the wreckage of the first strike, when there was yet another explosion.
WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT
Video shows the moment a second strike hit Nasser hospital in Khan Younis minutes after the first one https://t.co/DXtTbrTRJq pic.twitter.com/7gu3PiWNf1— Reuters (@Reuters) August 25, 2025
While Khaled was wounded, several others, including Associated Press and Al Jazeera journalists, were killed.
IDF expresses regret
The Israel Defense Forces acknowledged striking the area of Nasser hospital, which killed at least 20 people and said the chief of the general staff had ordered an inquiry.
The IDF “regrets any harm to uninvolved individuals and does not target journalists as such. The IDF acts to mitigate harm to uninvolved individuals as much as possible while maintaining the safety of IDF troops,” it said.
IDF to investigate
Israeli military spokesperson Brigadier General Effie Defrin said in a statement late on Monday that the military, in line with international law, was obligated to investigate.
“As always, we will present our findings as transparently as possible,” he said.
“Reporting from an active war zone carries immense risk, especially in a war with a terrorist organization such as Hamas, who cynically hides behind the civilian population,” he said.
Tragic mishap: Netanyahu
Amid international outcry and calls for Israel to be held accountable, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that Israel deeply regretted what he described as the “tragic mishap”.
“Our war is with Hamas terrorists. Our just goals are defeating Hamas and bringing our hostages home,” Netanyahu said
Israel valued the work of journalists and medical staff, he said.
World leaders condemn
Earlier, several world leaders, including French President Emmanuel Macron, Stéphane Dujarric, Spokesperson for the UN Secretary-General, United States Senator Jeanne Shaheen, along with representatives of several international organisations and journalist groups, condemned the attack.
According to the Palestinian Journalists Syndicate, the Israeli strikes represented “an open war against free media, with the aim of terrorising journalists and preventing them from fulfilling their professional duty of exposing its crimes to the world”.
The syndicate said more than 240 Palestinian journalists had been killed by Israeli fire in Gaza since the war started on October 7, 2023.